Bulletin Board


Main Page

October 2003


Fire Strikes National Capital Trolley Museum

A fire on September 28 at the National Capital Trolley Museum in Montgomery County, Maryland, destroyed eight pieces of equipment. The museum estimates damage of at least $8-million, which included four streetcars from its own collection, three Austrian trams from the International Collection, and a Johnstown Traction Company car from the American Trolley Collection. The cause of the blaze is under investigation.


B&O Museum to Replace Upper Clerestory Roundhouse Roof

Structural engineers working with the B&O Museum in Baltimore have discovered that the clerestory upper roof of the roundhouse does not have the structural integrity to meet current building code standards. This was not caused by the February snowstorm that caused extensive damage to lower portions of the roof, and repairs to the upper roof will not be covered by insurance. The museum has decided to remove and replace the upper roof at a cost estimated to be in excess of $2-million. Moreover, this work is expected to add another six months to the overall roof replacement project.


Al Crown Retires From CSXT

Alan F. Crown, executive vice president and chief operating officer of CSX Transportation, retired on September 11 after 37 years of service. He began his career with the B&O in Baltimore as a yard clerk and quickly moved into management positions including general manager of several of the company's operating regions. He was among those who led the railroad's service recovery that began in 2000, and he also led the development of CSXT's Safety Leadership Process in 2002. He was named chief operating officer in February 2003.


Union Pacific to Add Trains to Illinois Line

Union Pacific will increase the number of trains on a 58-mile rail line between Mount Vernon and Chester, Illinois, and increase the speed of its trains to 40 miles per hour, according to a news report from the Association of American Railroads. A portion of the line between Mount Vernon and Steelville had very little traffic in recent years, and the portion between Steelville and Chester had averaged just two trains a day. Effective November 1, following a $9.3-million track upgrade, the number of trains operating over the line will increase to about 12 trains a day.


Rail Intermodal Traffic Sets Weekly Record

Intermodal traffic set a weekly record on U.S. railroads during the week ending September 13, according to the Association of American Railroads. Intermodal traffic totaled 206,943 trailers or containers, up 3.1 percent from last year and 0.2 above the previous record of 206,454 set during the week ending September 21, 2002. Container volume was up two percent while trailer traffic was up 6.3 percent from last year.


BNSF Logistics Acquires Freight Forwarding Firm

BNSF Logistics, a subsidiary of Burlington Northern Santa Fe, has acquired MRS Companies, an Illinois brokerage and freight forwarder that serves retail, furniture and consumer packaged goods companies nationwide.


Director of UP Railroad Museum Named

Beth Lindquist, formerly general manager at the Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs, Iowa, has been named director of the Union Pacific Railroad Museum in Council Bluffs. "This is an exciting new challenge for me," she said. "The museum has terrific potential to serve the community and region, and I look forward to exploring new possibilities."


Vintage Rail Passenger Depots of Maryland

The purpose of this feature is to identify vintage rail passenger depots of Maryland that are currently standing. "Vintage" comprehends construction prior to 1950. Replicas of vintage depots are included if their construction since 1950 was to accurately copy the vintage structure. Any pre-1950 depot that at some time was used as an assembly area for rail passengers to await transportation is included, even if it shared space with other functions, such as a store. Freight depots ­ unless they also served passengers ­ are not included.

This updates the study introduced in the Bull Sheet in January 1991.

Special thanks to all who assisted in identifying depots, both in the original study in 1991 and the update to it in 2003. They include Matt Adams, Matt Atkinson, Rich Ballash, Bill Bartosh, Gordy Bjoraker, Ken Briers, Mark Camp, Mike Finzel, Beryl Frank, Ed Hack, Herb Harwood, Chris & Tina Hash, Tyler Horner, Winnie Kehs, Gerry Kiernan, Betty Kuigley Dick Lloyd, Bernie Loveless, Alan Maples, Wade Massie, Richard Meyer, Alexander Mitchell, George Paine, Darren Reynolds, Stewart Rhine, Jim Rogers, Jerry Rollins, Pat Stakem, Frank Tosh, Martin Van Horn, Mike Welsh, Roger White, Robert Williams, Ed Wilsey and others.

Certain additional information was obtained from reference material including:

ABERDEEN (B&O) - Harford County. Frame. Built 1886. Passenger service discontinued in 1958. Now vacant and in decrepit condition. Posted with notice saying structure has been condemned; demolition pending.
ABERDEEN (PRR/AMTK/MARC) - Harford County. Southbound side. Restored and used as MARC waiting room, also as a stop for Greyhound.
ABERDEEN PROVING GROUND (Army) - Harford County. Edgewood area of base. Stucco. Behind building E5101. Original depot of base railroad system.
AIREY (Dorchester & Delaware/PRR) - Dorchester County. Frame. Moved from original location several hundred feet and is now part of a residence.
ALESIA (WM) - Carroll County. Brick. Slightly altered from original appearance. In use as apartments.
ANTIETAM (N&W) - Washington County. Sharpsburg. Frame. Turned with the bay window now facing the highway instead of the tracks. Vacant but undergoing restoration as the future home of the Hagerstown Model RR Museum.
ARCADIA (WM) - Baltimore County. Frame. Now used as the Upperco Post Office.
BALTIMORE - CALVERT STATION (PRR) - Baltimore City, Centre Street & Guilford Avenue. Brick. Built as a freight depot in 1865 and used as Baltimore terminus of Parkton Local from late 1940s until 1959. Now in use by the Downtown Athletic Club.
BALTIMORE - CAMDEN STATION (B&O) - Baltimore City, Camden & Howard streets. Brick. Built late 1850s and early 1860s, later altered. One-time headquarters of B&O. Trains were accommodated on two levels. Building has been cosmetically restored to original appearance. Reuse pending. (New MARC commuter station is located several hundred feet south of site.)
BALTIMORE - MOUNT CLARE STATION (B&O) - Baltimore City, Pratt & Poppleton streets. Brick. Built c-1850s, possibly earlier. Site of beginning of country's first passenger service. Now part of the B&O Railroad Museum.
BALTIMORE - MOUNT ROYAL STATION (B&O) - Baltimore City. Stone. Built 1896. Now used by the Maryland Institute College of Art.
BALTIMORE - PENNSYLVANIA STATION (PRR/AMTK) - Baltimore City, 1500 block North Charles Street. Granite, terra cotta and cast iron exterior; marble and ceramic tile interior. Opened 1911. In regular use.
BALTIMORE - PRESIDENT STREET STATION (PB&W/PRR) - Baltimore City, Brick. Opened 1850. Was in use as a mainline passenger depot until 1873. Limited local service remained along the Fleet Street side until 1911. Now houses the Civil War Museum.
BALTIMORE - WB&A TERMINAL (WB&A) - Baltimore City. Liberty & Marion streets. In use 1908-1921. Altered from original appearance. Now in commercial use.
BARNESVILLE (B&O/MARC) - Montgomery County. Brick. Originally a gas metering station. Moved from Rockville, Maryland, to Barnesville site in 1977. In regular use for Brunswick Line weekday trains.
BAY SHORE (BTC) - Baltimore County. On grounds of North Point State Park. Georgia pine timber. It was a trolley depot for former Bay Shore Amusement Park which closed in 1947. Property was then used by Bethlehem Steel Corporation as a hunting & fishing camp for employees. Property was acquired by state of Maryland in 1987 which restored the depot as a park pavilion.
BEAVER CREEK - BOONSBORO JUNCTION (Hagerstown & Frederick) - Washington County (where line to Boonsboro joined the mainline). Brick. Now used as a residence.
BEDFORD SQUARE (United Railways & Electric/BTC) - Baltimore City, St. Paul & Charles streets. Concrete waiting shelter. Now used as a bus waiting shelter.
BETHLEHEM (Baltimore, Chesapeake & Atlantic) - Caroline County. Frame with siding. Moved from original location about 1/2 mile; now on south side Md.331 about 300 feet west of Eastern Auto Parts. Now a private residence.
BLUE MOUNT (PRR) - Baltimore County. Enclosed frame waiting shelter. Used for Parkton Local until 1959. Moved from original location about 200 feet; now on east side of Northern Central Railroad Trail north of Blue Mount Road. Private use.
BORING (WM) - Baltimore County. Frame with siding. Had combined use as depot, store and post office. Still in use as the Boring post office.
BOWIE (PRR) - Prince George's County. Frame waiting shelter. Moved to nearby Huntington Heritage Museum about 200 feet from original site where it is on display with restored Bowie Tower and restored freight depot.
BRADDOCK HEIGHTS (Hagerstown & Frederick) - Frederick County. Frame. Two-story. Now in commercial use.
BROOKLANDVILLE (Baltimore & Susquehanna) - Baltimore County. In service 1832 as the Brooklandville House located at the railroad & the Falls Turnpike. Building still stands and is in use as the Valley Inn across Falls Road from the depot built later.
BROOKLANDVILLE (PRR) - Baltimore County. Frame and stucco. Built 1906. Used for Green Spring Branch passenger trains until 1933. Now a residence.
BRUNSWICK (B&O/MARC) - Frederick County. Maple Avenue west of crossing. Frame. Built c-1890. Restored on behalf of MARC service and is in regular use for Brunswick Line weekday trains along westbound main.
BYNUM (M&P) - Harford County, corner of Moores Mill and Ma & Pa roads, surrounded by trees on back side of structure. Frame with gray siding, enlarged to front for current use as a residence. Back side of building next to site of old right-of-way has a bay window. Location on the railroad was MP 28.5.
CAMBRIDGE (Dorchester & Delaware/PRR) - Dorchester County, Maryland Avenue & Trenton Street, 1/2 block from drawbridge. Brick & frame. Was western terminus of line. Now a real estate office.
CATONSVILLE JUNCTION (United Railways & Electric/BTC) - Baltimore County, Dutton Avenue near Edmondson Avenue. Stone waiting shelter. Used for #8 streetcar line at its south terminus until 1963. No longer in use but maintained as historical structure.
CHESAPEAKE BEACH (Chesapeake Beach Rwy) - Calvert County. Frame. Built c-1900; in use until 1935. Eastern terminus of line. Now restored and in use as the Chesapeake Beach Railway Museum.
CHESTERTOWN (PW&B/PRR) - Kent County, 300 S. Cross Street. Frame, brick and stucco. Moved from original location about 100 yards c-1987. Restored, and now in use as office of the Tidewater Trader newspaper.
CHEVY CHASE LAKE (Capitol Transit) - Montgomery County. Streetcar station. Dismantled c-1970s and moved to private property in Hyattstown in northern Montgomery County.
CLAIBORNE (Baltimore & Eastern) - Talbot County. Frame train shed used for transfer of passengers between steamship and train. Moved from original location to Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in Saint Michaels where it is now used to house the museum's small boat collection.
COLORA (PRR) - Cecil County. Colora Road. Frame. Now houses Yardifacts store.
COUNCIL GROVE PAVILION (City Park Rwy) - Baltimore City. Druid Hill Park at entrance to zoo. Built c-1860s.
CUMBERLAND (WM/WM Scenic) - Allegany County. Brick. Four-story. Opened July 1913. Slightly altered. Now the Western Maryland Station Center in use as a visitor center & museum, and depot for Western Maryland Scenic Railroad to Frostburg.
DICKERSON (B&O/MARC) - Montgomery County. Frame. Built 1891. Rebuilt following fire damage and is in regular use for MARC Brunswick Line weekday trains along westbound main.
EARLEIGH HEIGHTS (WB&A/B&A) - Anne Arundel County, Earleigh Heights Road at the B&A Trail. Frame, Mansard style. Built 1889. Had combined use as depot and store. Restored and in use as visitor center for Baltimore & Annapolis Trail.
EAST NEW MARKET (Dorchester & Delaware/PRR) - Dorchester County, Md.14 & Richardson Road, 1/10 mile east of Md.14 & Md.392. Frame. Moved about 200 feet from original location. Now houses a youth center.
EASTON (Baltimore & Eastern/PRR) - Talbot County. Goldsboro Street & Pennsylvania Avenue. Brick & frame. Restored and in use as offices of Chesapeake Wildlife Heritage.
EDGEVALE ROAD (United Railways & Electric/BTC) - Baltimore City. Falls & Edgevale roads. Concrete waiting shelter.
ELKTON (PRR) - Cecil County. Brick. No longer used as a depot. Now used by Amtrak maintenance of way. Also southbound waiting shelter, metal. Both structures fenced from right of way.
ELLICOTT CITY (B&O) - Howard County. Main Street. (Across from Ellicott City B&O Railroad Museum.) Formerly the Patapsco Hotel. Served as passenger depot 1831-1856. Original terminus of B&O.
ELLICOTT CITY (B&O) - Howard County. Main Street. Stone. Built early 1830s, later altered. Now houses the Ellicott City B&O Railroad Museum.
FALLSTON (M&PA) - Harford County. Frame. Built 1904. Now in commercial use.
FEDERALSBURG (PRR) - Caroline County, South Main Street & Railroad Avenue. Frame. Restored and in use as office for the Maryland & Delaware Railroad.
FOREST HILL (M&PA) - Harford County. East Jarrettsville Road. Frame. Built 1914. Now houses a railroad hobby shop.
FORT MEADE (B&O) - Anne Arundel County, on Army base. Frame. Vacant.
FREDERICK (B&O) - Frederick County. East All Saints & south Market streets. Brick. Italianate design with Norman-style spire, and a canopy along the All Saints Street side. Opened 1855 replacing a depot (demolished c-1911) at Carroll & All Saints streets. Annexed with adjacent house and expanded with east wing 1895, with a further enlargement by 1921. In use as a depot with trains using tracks running within All Saints Street until March 1948. Sold by B&O in 1951. Restored 1979 and now occupied by Frederick Community Action Agency.
FREDERICK (B&O) - Frederick County. East All Saints & south Carroll streets. Built as a freight station, but it was used by passengers 1948-1949. Restored by city of Frederick, cosmetically painted and with a new roof, but building is evidently not in use except for its historical import.
FREDERICK (MARC) - Frederick County. East All Saints & south East streets. Brick. Opened 2001 to replicate vintage design for use of passengers using MARC Frederick Line weekday service. This structure does not exactly fit the criteria for this study since it does not duplicate anything that ever appeared on this site, but it is given HONORABLE MENTION due to its admirable replication of stylish, classic, vintage design. Station is also used as a terminal by city buses and by Greyhound.
FREDERICK (Hagerstown & Frederick) - Frederick County. Patrick & Carroll streets. Now a newspaper office.
FREDERICK (Monocacy Valley RR/Hagerstown & Frederick) - Frederick County. Northwest corner Fourth & East streets.
FREELAND (PRR) - Baltimore County. Frame. Moved from original location about one-half mile east to a farm on Freeland Road. Private use.
FROSTBURG (Cumberland & Pennsylvania) - Allegany County. Opened 1891. At western terminus of Western Maryland Scenic Railroad from Cumberland. Restored with use as a restaurant pending.
FULTON PAVILION (City Park Railway) - Baltimore City. Druid Hill & Fulton avenues. Built c-1860s. Altered from original condition and removed to nearby site within the park.
GAITHERSBURG (B&O/MARC) - Montgomery County. Brick. Built 1884, enlarged c-1905. Purchased by city of Gaithersburg in 1984 and restored. In regular use for Brunswick Line weekday trains along westbound main at Summit Avenue.
GARRETT PARK (B&O) - Montgomery County. Frame waiting shelter. Built 1935 for PRR stop at Landover, Maryland. Moved to Garrett Park in 1989 and restored. In regular use for Brunswick Line weekday trains along eastbound main.
GERMANTOWN (B&O) - Montgomery County. Frame. Replica of 1891 depot which had been destroyed by fire in 1977. In regular use for Brunswick Line weekday trains along eastbound main.
GIRDLETREE (PRR) - Worcester County. Frame. Moved a short distance from original location. In private use.
GLENARM (M&PA) - Baltimore County. Frame. Built 1903. Now houses Bella's Italian Market & Delicatessen.
GLENCOE (PRR) - Baltimore County. Frame. Two-story. Built c-1870s. Moved back from original location about 100 feet after it was replaced by a later (now gone) depot.
GLENVIEW (M&PA) - Baltimore County. Concrete waiting shelter. Built 1911 by a hotel at this location.
GLYNDON (WM) - Baltimore County. Brick. Built 1904 and restored 1974. Now the Glyndon Post Office.
GOLDSBORO (PRR) - Caroline County. Frame. Moved to a site on west side of Md.311 south of Henderson, Maryland, at the entrance to a mobile home park. Fair condition but in need of attention. Behind the structure rests the body of a multiple-unit commuter coach.
HAGERSTOWN (WM) - Washington County. Brick. Two-story. Now in use as city police headquarters.
HAMPSTEAD (WM) - Carroll County. Frame. In the process of restoration.
HEBRON (Baltimore & Eastern) - Wicomico County, Main Street & Railroad Avenue. Frame. Private use.
HOMELAND (Baltimore & Lehigh/M&PA) - Baltimore City. Lake Avenue. Frame, Victorian. Has bay windows on both west and north side. Now a residence.
HURLOCK (BC&A/Dorchester & Delaware/PRR) - Dorchester County. Charles & Mill streets. Frame. Now in civic use as meeting space.
HYDE (M&PA) - Baltimore County. (Hydes) Built 1883 by S.N. Hyde on the Maryland Central Railway (narrow gauge). Later used by Baltimore & Lehigh (also narrow gauge) and the M&PA as a store which shared space as a depot. Now a hairstylist and pet grooming salon.
JEFFERSON (Hagerstown & Frederick) - Frederick County. Md.180 east of Lander Road. Frame. Now used by a feed company.
KENNEDYVILLE (Baltimore & Eastern/PRR) - Kent County. Frame. Moved from original location to Marshallton, Delaware, where it is in use as a depot for the Wilmington & Western Railroad.
KENSINGTON (B&O/MARC) - Montgomery County. Frame. Built 1891. In regular use for Brunswick Line weekday trains on eastbound side of main.
KENSINGTON (Kensington Electric) - Montgomery County. Howard & Summit avenues. Now a residence.
LANTZ (WM) - Frederick County. Frame. Originally called Deerfield. Now a residence.
LA PLATA (PRR) - Charles County, 101 Kent Avenue north of Charles Street. Frame. Restored and moved to site away from the track. Now houses the Historical Society of Charles County.
LATROBE PAVILION (City Park Railway) - Baltimore City. Druid Hill Park. Built c-1860s. Relocated within the park.
LAUREL (B&O/MARC) - Prince George's County, Main Street south of US-1. Brick & frame. Built 1884. In regular use for Camden Line weekday trains.
LAUREL (City & Suburban Rwy/Washington Railway & Electric) - Prince George's County. Sixth & Main streets. Frame. In use as interurban depot 1902-1925. Altered and turned to new position. Now Oliver's Restaurant.
LINEBORO (WM) - Carroll County. Stone. Now an office for a feed mill.
LINKWOOD (Dorchester & Delaware/PRR) - Dorchester County. Frame. Moved from original location. Now a residence.
LINTHICUM (WB&A/B&A) - Anne Arundel County, 100 block Maple Avenue at the Light Rail Line. Frame. Restored. Commercial use.
LONG GREEN (Baltimore & Lehigh/M&PA) - Baltimore County. Board & batten. Built 1886 or 1896. From narrow-gauge line. Moved from original location. Private use.
LUTHERVILLE (PRR) - Baltimore County. Stone. Used for Parkton Local until 1959. In historic district. Now a residence.
MAPLE GROVE (WM) - Carroll County. Brick. Two-story. Original location. Now a residence.
MARION STATION (PRR) - Somerset County, 28380 Crisfield-Marion Road, 1/10 mile west of Tulls Corner Road, south of Md.413. Frame. Purchased 1997 for office space but it became a museum instead. Now houses the Accohannock Indian Tribal Museum & Gift Shop, Powhatan Nation.
MARYDEL (PB&W/PRR) - Caroline County. Frame. Moved from original location to a site 9/10 mile south of town on east side of route 311. Vacant. No current use. Decrepit condition.
MILLERS (WM) - Carroll County. Frame. In use as apartments.
MINEFIELD (M&PA) - Harford County. Frame. Had combined use as depot and store. Now a residence.
MONKTON (PRR) - Baltimore County. Frame. Built 1898. Used for Parkton Local until 1959. Restored in 1989 and is now a visitor center for the Northern Central Railroad Trail.
MONTEBELLO (United Railways & Electric/BTC) - Baltimore City. Harford Road & Lake Montebello Drive. Stylish brick waiting shelter. Now used as a bus waiting shelter.
MOUNT AIRY (B&O) - Carroll County. Brick. Built 1875, enlarged 1882. Now a pharmacy and medical center.
MOUNT WASHINGTON (Baltimore & Northern Electric/BTC) - Baltimore City. Smith & Kelly avenues. Frame. Altered from original appearance and now a veterinary center.
MOUNTAIN LAKE PARK (B&O) - Garrett County. Frame. Commercial use.
MYERSVILLE (Hagerstown & Frederick) - Frederick County. Brick, with columns in front. Commercial use.
MYERSVILLE (Hagerstown & Frederick) - Frederick County. Frame pagoda-style waiting shelter, moved from another location on the line & now on private property open to the public once a year during the Myersville Trolley Festival.
NEWARK (PRR) - Worcester County, Patey Woods Road & Mill Street, one block west of Newark & Langmaid roads. Frame. Originally called Queponco. Built 1910. Now the Queponco Railroad Station Museum.
NEWCOMB (Baltimore, Chesapeake & Atlantic) - Talbot County. Frame. Moved from original location. Now the Newcomb post office.
NOTRE DAME (M&PA) - Baltimore City. Wyndhurst Avenue. Frame. Built 1906. Originally combination post office, store & depot. Now in use as a store.
OAKLAND (B&O) - Garrett County. Brick, Victorian. Opened 1884. Restored and in use as the Oakland Heritage Center.
ODENTON (PRR/MARC) - Anne Arundel County. Frame & brick. Built 1943. Renovated 1989 for MARC service. In regular use for Penn Line weekday trains.
OVERLEA (United Railways & Electric/BTC) - Baltimore County. Belair Road & Overlea Avenue. Replica of original concrete waiting shelter. Now used as a bus waiting shelter.
OWINGS MILLS (Baltimore & Susquehanna/WM) - Baltimore County. Stone & frame, Victorian-Mansard style. Stone portion is thought to be original 1832 Baltimore & Susquehanna terminus. Enlarged c-1880s and altered several times from original appearance. Now a building supply store. (A later depot built c-1906 for new track alignment was demolished following fire damage in 1990.)
PARADISE AVENUE (United Railways & Electric/BTC) - Baltimore County. Frederick Road & Paradise Avenue. Brick waiting shelter. Now used as a bus waiting shelter.
PARK TERMINAL (United Railways & Electric/BTC) - Baltimore City. Fulton & Druid Hill avenues. Brick. Now used by city water department.
PATAPSCO (WM) - Carroll County. Frame with siding. Now a grocery store.
PEN MAR (WM) - Washington County. Frame. Now used as apartments.
PERRYVILLE (PBW/PRR) - Cecil County. Brick. Built 1905. Southbound side at Perryville wye, across from now-closed Perry Tower. Restored on behalf of MARC commuter service. In regular use. Also houses the Perryville NRHS Railroad Museum.
POCOMOKE CITY (PRR) - Worcester County, 2nd & 4th streets. Brick. Built 1912, fire damaged 1989, rebuilt 1999, dedicated as Rev. Isaac Jenkins Center April 2000.
POINT OF ROCKS (B&O) - Frederick County. Brick, Victorian, ornate with spire, recognizable as premiere depot of the area. Built early 1870s and enlarged several years later. Called Washington Junction 1876-1923. MARC trains stop at this location but the depot is not available for public use. Building is used by CSXT maintenance of way.
PRINCESS ANNE (PRR) - Somerset County, Beechwood & William streets. Brick. Trackside, but fenced from right-of-way. In use by United Community Ministries.
REIDS GROVE (Baltimore, Chesapeake & Atlantic) - Dorchester County. Frame, two-story, with bay window. Bought from railroad in 1929 and moved about one mile north to a site along route 331 where it is now in use as a residence at house address 5314.
RIDERWOOD (PRR) - Baltimore County. Brick. Built 1903, later enlarged. Used for Parkton Local until 1959. Now a residence.
RIDGELY (PRR) - Caroline County, Railroad & Maryland avenues. Brick & frame. Now used for civic purposes. Baggage cart rests on depot platform which faces now-abandoned railroad.
RISING SUN (PRR) - Cecil County. South Queen Street & Dairy Road. Frame. Two-story. Moved back from original location about 100 feet. Now a residence.
RIVERDALE PARK (Washington Rwy & Electric) - Prince George's County, Queensbury Road & Rhode Island Avenue. Brick. Now houses a book store.
ROCKVILLE (B&O) - Montgomery County. Brick. Built early 1870s. Moved back from original location and restored. Commercial use. (Rockville MARC & Amtrak passengers now use a newer facility next to the Rockville Metro stop.)
ROHRERSVILLE (B&O) - Washington County. Trego Road 3/10-mile south of Millbrook Road. Frame. Had combined use as depot and store. Private use in deteriorating condition, substantially covered by vegetation.
ROUND BAY (WB&A/B&A) - Anne Arundel County. Frame waiting shelter. Now incorporated into a wing of a residence.
SAINT JAMES (N&W) - Washington County. Frame. Moved from original location. Now a residence.
SAINT MICHAELS (Baltimore, Chesapeake & Atlantic/PRR) - Talbot County. Frame. Moved from original location, presumptively to a site on Dodson Avenue south of Fremont Street, where it is now in use as a residence.
SALISBURY (PRR) - Wicomico County, Railroad Avenue & Wilson Street. Brick. Cluttered. Now in use by a sign company.
SEVERNA PARK (WB&A/B&A) - Anne Arundel County, Riggs & Holly avenues at the B&A Trail. Brick. Built 1919, enlarged 1925. Now the home of the Severna Park Model Railroad Club adjacent to the B&A Trail.
SILVER SPRING (B&O) - Montgomery County. Brick. Built 1945. Westbound depot now owned by Montgomery Preservation Inc. housing railroad artifacts with former baggage area leased for commercial use. Eastbound waiting room boarded up. MARC passengers no longer board at this facility. In 2003 a new facility was opened about 1/4 mile west of this location adjacent to the Silver Spring Metro station.
SMITHSBURG (WM) - Washington County. Stone. Now in use as a bank.
SNOW HILL (PRR) - Worcester County, Collins & Belt streets. Brick & stucco. Built 1916. Currently at the south end of Maryland & Delaware RR line. Restored and used for community meeting space.
SOMERSET ROAD (United Railways & Electric/BTC) - Baltimore City. University Parkway east of Roland Avenue. Brick waiting shelter. Now used as a bus waiting shelter.
STEMMERS RUN (PRR) - Baltimore County. Brick. Now used by Amtrak maintenance of way.
STEVENSON (PRR) - Baltimore County. Frame. Built 1901. Used for Green Spring Branch passenger trains until 1933. Commercial use as an architect's office.
STEVENSVILLE (Queen Anne's County RR) - Queen Anne's County. Frame. Built 1902. Relocated in 1988 to a heritage park on west side of Cockey Lane where it has been restored as a museum.
SUDLERSVILLE (Queen Anne's & Kent/PRR) - Queen Anne's County, Md.300 & S. Linden Street. Frame. Built c-1885. Restored and in use as a museum.
SYKESVILLE (B&O) - Carroll County. Brick. Built 1884. Restored and in use as Baldwin's Train Station & Pub.
TANEYTOWN (York, Hanover & Frederick/PRR) - Carroll County. Frame, board & batten siding. Built c-1900. Moved one block east of original location to northeast corner of E. Baltimore & George streets. Restored and in private use.
TRAPPE STATION (Baltimore & Eastern) - Talbot County. Md.333 and Almshouse Road, about midway between Trappe and Oxford. Depot was at one time named Oxford. Frame. Now a real estate office.
UNION BRIDGE (WM) - Carroll County. Brick. Built 1902. One-time headquarters of the WM. Also once used as headquarters for the Maryland Midland Railway (now relocated in a separate building east of road crossing). Restored. In use as Western Maryland Railway Historical Society museum.
VALE (M&PA) - Harford County. Frame. Built 1901. Had combined use as depot and store. Now a residence.
WALKERSVILLE (York, Hanover & Frederick/PRR/Walkersville Southern) - Frederick County. Frame, Victorian. Built c-1900. Restored. Used by Walkersville Southern as depot & ticket office.
WESTERNPORT (WM) - Allegany County, 117 Maryland Avenue. Brick & frame. Restored and in use as a museum of the Westernport Heritage Society.
WESTOVER (PRR) - Somerset County. Frame. Moved from former location to a field north side of Md.361 about 3/10 mile west of Md.413. Private use.
WHITEFORD (M&PA) - Harford County. Frame. Built 1893 by the Baltimore & Lehigh (narrow gauge). Later used by the M&PA. Building was repainted as a Boy Scouts project in 1980 and adorned with a station sign repainted Whiteford from a sign previously displayed at Fallston, Maryland. Private use for storage.
WILLIAMSPORT (WM) - Washington County. Frame. Had also been used as an interlocking office. Original location. Vacant and in decrepit condition.
WORTON (PW&B/PRR) - Kent County, 9868 Route 297. Frame with brick-design siding. Moved from original location to a site on west side of Md.297, 7/10 mile north of Md.213. Now in use as a residence or farm use.
WOODLAWN (WB&A/B&A) - Anne Arundel County. Near Ferndale. Frame. Private residence.
WOODSBORO (York, Hanover & Frederick/PRR) - Frederick County. Frame. Vacant but undergoing restoration by local historical group. Structure has a new foundation and base timbers.


Depot hunting can be fun. It can be full of surprises, too. Take for example the excitement of finding a baggage wagon, somewhat worn and adorned with growth, tucked away behind an old depot whose tracks were taken up more than a generation ago. Time stands still!

And then there is the added reward of getting to meet old timers who are just waiting to tell stories about some depot and/or to let you know what happened to it. Small towns are ideal for this... Just inquire at the post office or general store.

Once back on your way in pursuit of a lead, such as for a depot that has been moved off into some farmer's field, there is the mounting excitement of the pending encounter... until... (Gasp!)... THERE IT IS!!!

It has been nearly 13 years since I introduced this study as a feature to the Bull Sheet. Accordingly, I followed mostly the same trail to check the entries as I had used before. Regrettably, about 20 of the depots that were included on the initial list are no longer there. But in the process, a few others were discovered. About 80 percent of the entries included in this study were personally seen by me within the past three months. All photos were taken this year.

The happy news is that, overall, a favorable number of old train depots are actually in better condition today than they were 13 years ago. There has indeed been an ongoing renaissance in depot preservation. Folks taking pride in their communities recognize the architectural and historical import that their train stations served. Some depots that had been considered basket cases just a few years ago have been restored to as fine a condition as the day they were built. If they were centerpieces to the community a century ago, just as surely they can be centerpieces today. Moreover, I heard many folks lament the fact that a certain train station in their community had not been saved when they had the opportunity.

There is no assurance that this list is actually complete. There may be some other vintage depots resting someplace that may or may not ever be authenticated for inclusion. While this list might never again be published within the pages of the Bull Sheet, it will be maintained on the Bull Sheet's website with updates as they become known. The website version will include many more photos than those included here, and will offer an alternate listing by regions in addition to the one shown statewide.

Depot preservation is not unique just to Maryland, of course. It is everywhere. Think of the fun one could have to identify all of the vintage train stations throughout the country - indeed, the whole world - and to discover the role they play as hallmarks of the community. In fact, there is an organization devoted to just this kind of interest. The Railroad Station Historical Society - of which I am a member - has a convention for its members once a year at a location noted for its abundance of railroad structures within easy reach to visit. Membership is a modest $12 per year (in the U.S.) and includes a subscription to The Bulletin, a bimonthly publication complete with photos and articles submitted by members. They also have a great website. For memberships, write the society at 26 Thackeray Road, Oakland, New Jersey 07436-3312. For further information go to www.rrshs.org.