TRAIN STATIONS ACROSS THE U.S.
by Beryl Frank
Greensburg has been on the Pennsylvania Railroad since before 1900. But the building, located north of the city, was not opened for passenger travel until after 1910. It was designed by William Holmes Cookman for the Pennsylvania Railroad. His design was Jacobean Revival style built of brick with a stone roof. The wide elaborate porte-cohere had a 1910 date-stone, but that was before the station opened its doors to the public.
The year 1912 was when the Pennsylvania Railroad opened the door of the station to travelers. The station itself was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 15, 2008. So this beautiful building of brick with stone trim, slate roof and former clock tower with its copper-domed roof is still preserved. The clock is no longer there and has been replaced with PRR emblems.
Thanks to the Westmoreland County Historical Society for use of their pictures and facts about this station.
The station circa-1914