Preserved Interlocking Towers
By Bill Haines
Bill Haines, a long-time reader of
the Bull Sheet, is a former Erie Lackawanna and Conrail tower operator.
His interest in towers began as a kid when he would hang out at the PRR
tower at Piqua Crossing, Ohio. Later, as an operator, he held second-shift
at Sterling Tower near Akron, Ohio.
In compiling this list of preserved
interlocking towers, he would like to express appreciation to Pete White,
Dale DeVene, Ed Long, Wade Frasch, Ron Barber, Pat Seward, Eric Schmelz,
Kent Hannah, Rich Ballash, David Oroszi, Alexander Mitchell, John Dahl,
John Hankey, Richard Croy, Michael Welsh, Andy Dwyer, Nicholas Pitsch, Jeff
Asay, Herman Page, Susie Haines, Allen Brougham and others.
This list is subject to change, and
any comments or additions may be addressed to Bill Haines, 305 Lamar Court,
Vandalia, Ohio 45377-3212.. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Davis.. PHOTO..
(SP) Known as Davis Tower. Located at former SP (now Amtrak) depot. Owned
by city of Davis.
- Oakland.. (SP) Known as 16th Street Tower.. Located near
16th Street Station.. Tower and station are both privately owned.
- Oakland.. (SP) Known as Oakland Pier Interlocking Tower..
Relocated to Oakland View Park, foot of 7th Street, West Oakland.. Open
to the public.
- Santa Clara.. (SP) Located near Santa Clara depot.
Norwalk.. (NH) Known as Signal Station 44.
Restored by Western Connecticut Chapter NRHS and open weekends, noon to
5PM, May-October, as a museum and gift shop.
- Harrington.. PHOTOS
.. (PRR) Located on original site as Harrington Tower Museum. Open by appointment.
- Franklin Park.. (MILW) Known as Tower B-12.. Located downtown near Post
Office. Originally located at SOO-MILW West Line crossing.
- Pana.. PHOTO..
(NYC) Known as Pana Tower.. Controlled junction of NYC St.Louis line and MP(C&EI) St.Louis
line. IC's Gruber line also crossed here.
- Ramsey.. PHOTO..
(IC) Controlled crossing of NKP St.Louis line and IC Gruber line.
- Union.. (MILW) At Illinois Rwy Museum. Originally located
at MILW-EJ&E crossing in Spaulding, Illinois.
- Vandalia.. (PRR) Owned by the Vandalia RR shortline.
- Dearborn.. (B&O) Originally located in Lawrenceburg
where it controlled crossing of B&O Cincinnati-St.Louis line and NYC's
Moved to the Whitewater Valley Railroad in Connersville where it is to
be restored as closely as possible to original condition inside & out.
- Griffith.. (EJ&E) Moved to museum across tracks from
Controlled EL-C&O-GTW-EJ&E-NYC crossing.
- North Judson.. (IHB) Known as Grasselli
Tower, originally located in East Chicago, Indiana, where it controlled
the junction of IHB, EJE and B&OCT.. Closed in 2007.. Moved to the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum where it is being
- Terre Haute.. (C&EI) Known as Haley
Tower. Located at Wabash Valley Railroader's Museum.. Originally located at nearby
- Terre Haute.. (MILW) Known as Spring
Located at Wabash Valley Railroader's Museum.. Originally located at MILW and CSX(ex-C&EI)
crossing south of Terre Haute.
- Iowa Falls.. (IC) Known as Mills Tower. Located at IC-RI
Spine Line crossing.
- Hope.. Originally located at crossing of ATSF-MP (now
abandoned). Relocated behind a house on Main Street on west side of town.
- Russell.. (C&O) Tower and depot are part of a museum
located at the east end of the yard.
- Bowie.. PHOTOS
.. (PRR) Moved to Huntington Railroad Museum near original location. Open
- Brunswick .. (B&O) Known as WB Tower. Closed December
2011. Currently awaiting donations to move the structure to a nearby location
on city property.
- Sykesville.. PHOTOS
.. (PRR) Known as B&P Tower. Relocated from Baltimore's Penn Station.
Serves as a welcome, information, town center and post office. There is
a model train layout on the second-floor, open to the public the first
Sunday of every month.
- Kennebunkport.. Known as Tower C. Located at Seashore
Trolley Museum. Originally located in Boston where it controlled the following:
Atlantic Avenue EL and Main Line junction, switches for the North Station
- South Station shuttle platform, and Charlestown Bridge. It was closed
- Attleboro.. (NH) Built c-1898. Closed 1993. Served Boston-New Haven line
and was its last mechanical interlocking. Currently awaiting donations
to preserve the structure.
- Bourne.. (NH) Known as U
416. Still in use today by Bay Colony RR at Canal Junction, and
is included in this report as it was 'preserved' in recent years by inmates
of the Barnstable County House of Correction at no labor cost to the owner.
- Coopersville.. (GTW) Restored by the Coopersville &
Marne Railway. Originally located at Greenville where it controlled the
GTW and C&O(Pere Marquette) crossing.
- Lansing.. (NYC) Known as MA Tower. Relocated to north
side of Lansing from original location at NYC-PM depot.
- Richland.. (NYC) Known as Tower
1. Moved to the Gilmore
Car Museum from Kalamazoo where it had controlled the NYC (ex-MC)
and PRR (ex-GR&I) crossing.
- Saginaw.. (C&O) Known as Meshon Tower. Located at
Saginaw Railroad Museum. Originally located at C&O, NYC, GTW crossing.
- Newport.. (MILW) Served the CB&Q, Rock Island and
Milwaukee. Second-shift job was a CB&Q dispatcher who controlled the
joint trackage between St.Crois Tower and Hoffman Avenue Tower. Moved to
a location about a half block east of the police station.
- Clinton.. (MKT) Known as South Tower,
concrete, formerly located at crossing between MKT and Kansas City, Clinton
& Springfield tracks, south of Rogers Street. Closed 1927, abandoned
1935 and moved about 600 feet west to a site south of Ortner Hatchery Building
where it remains.
- Cold Spring Village.. (PRSL) Known as Woodbine Junction
Tower. Originally located at Woodbine. Used as a gift shop by the Cape
May Seashore Lines.
- Phillipsburg.. (CNJ) Known as PU Tower. Owned by the
town of Phillipsburg and being restored by Phillipsburg Railroad Historians.
- Roselle Park.. (CNJ) Known both as QR Tower and Lorraine
Tower. Closed 1948. Restored and now in use as a private residence.
- Tuckahoe.. (PRSL).. Being restored
by Cape May Seashore Lines.
- Waldwick.. (ERIE) Controlled the interlocking where two
tracks became four tracks.
- Ashford.. (B&O) Known as Ashford Junction Tower.
Privately owned. A distinctive BR&P poured concrete tower. This part
of the B&O was once the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh.
- Locust Valley.. (LIRR) Built 1912 replacing replacing
1879 structure. Renovated 2006 and in use as a police office.
- Mechanicville.. (D&H) Known as XO Tower. Controlled
- North Tonawanda.. (EL) Controlled crossing of Erie Niagara
Falls line and NYC Lockport Branch. Owned by Niagara Frontier Chapter NRHS.
- Bradford.. (PRR) The tracks are gone but the tower remains. Being restored
by the Bradford Railroad Museum.
- Brady Lake.. (PRR) Used as a Kent city park maintenance
- Cincinnati.. (CUT) Known as Tower A. Controlled Cincinnati
Union Terminal trackage.
- Grafton.. PHOTO..
(NYC) Controlled NYC-B&O Lorain Branch crossing. Moved 200 feet from
original location and put back on stilts near the northeast quadrant of
NYC(Big Four) Cleveland- Greenwich line (now CSX) and B&O Lorain Branch
(now CSX) crossing. Plans include restoring at least two armstrong levers
to operate a turnout.
- Leetonia.. PHOTOS..
(PRR) Controlled PRR-EL Lisbon Branch crossing.
- Marion.. (ERIE) Known as AC Tower. Moved across tracks
to a museum onto Marion Union Station property, put back on stilts, shortened
by one story. Interlocking machine has been restored and is operational
to simulate moves in pre-Conrail days. Built in 1902. AC stands for Atlantic
Crossing (this part of the Erie was once the Atlantic & Western). Open
to visitors on weekends throughout the year.
- Orrville.. (PRR) Moved to museum near original location.
- Toledo.. (NYC) Known as Nasby Tower. Controlled NYC-Toledo
Terminal crossing. May become office for bike trail on old Toledo Terminal
- Portland.. Known as VC Tower. Located at south end of
Union Station and operated by the Portland Terminal Railroad. Plans for
its restoration or reuse are pending.
- East Stroudsburg.. (DL&W) Located along Analomink
- Harrisburg.. (PRR) Known as Harris
Tower. Located at State Street bridge. Owned by Harrisburg Chapter
NRHS. Goal is to allow visitors to operate the interlocking machine making
use of computer-simulated operations circa-1940's.
- Huntingdon.. (PRR) Known as Hunt Tower .. PHOTO .. Located on original site, open
- Mahoningtown.. (B&O) Known as UN Tower. Relocated
from New Castle.
- Scranton.. (DL&W) Located at Steamtown. Used as a
Park Service ranger station.
- Scranton.. (DL&W) Known as Mattes Street. Restored
- Strasburg.. (PRR) Known as Lemo Tower. Located at Strasburg
RR. Relocated from Lemoyne, Pennsylvania.
- Tobyhanna.. (DL&W) Restored by National Park Service
and leased to the Delaware & Lackawanna RR and the Pocono Mountain
- Kingston.. (NH) Relocated near original location.
- Chattanooga.. (CSC) Located at Chattanooga Choo Choo.
Controlled Chattanooga Terminal Station trackage. Once owned by Chattanooga
- Cowan.. (L&N) Tower and depot combination now owned
by the Cowan Railroad Museum.
- Hendersonville.. (L&N) Tower and depot combination
originally located at Amqui. Purchased by singer Johnny Cash in 1979 and
moved to Hendersonville along Route 31.
- Dallas.. (ATSF) Known as Tower No. 19. Located at Age
of Steam Museum, original location about three miles east of Dallas Union
Station at Santa Fe-UP(T&P) crossing at south end of Santa Fe's Dallas
yard, built by Gulf Colorado & Santa Fe.
- Dallas.. (DUT) Known as North Tower. Controlled crossing
of Dallas Union Terminal, Texas & Pacific, and Missouri Kansas &
Texas(KATY). Will become part of the 6th Floor Museum because it sets close
to where President Kennedy was assassinated.
- Flatonia.. (SP) Known as Tower No. 3. Built 1902 by Gulf
Colorado & San Antonio for the crossing of the San Antonio & Aransas
Pass. Moved a few blocks from original location. Now a museum.
- Grapevine.. (SLSF) Known as Tower No. 16. Controlled
crossing of Frisco and Texas & Pacific at Sherman. Moved to Grapevine
for display at the Cotton Belt Depot Museum.
- Luling.. (SP) Known as Tower No. 40. Built by Galveston,
Harrisburg & San Antonio for the crossing with the San Antonio &
Aransas Pass. Moved a short distance from original location. Used as a
gas station, then beauty parlor. Currently vacant.
- Rosenberg.. (SP) Known as Tower
17 which, when it closed in February 2004, was the last staffed
interlocking tower in the state. It had controlled the UP(x-SP) crossing
with BNSF(x-SF). Moved to the Rosenberg Railroad Museum.
- Staunton.. (C&O) Known as HD Cabin .. PHOTOS .. Bottom floor is used as Amtrak's
waiting room. Top floor is a residence.
- Martinsburg.. (B&O) Known as Miller
Tower. Originally located at Cherry Run. Relocated to Martinsburg's
Roundhouse Center Museum for eventual restoration. Closed in 2000.
Claire.. (CNW) c-1896. Closed November 1991.
Moved May 1992 to Carson Park in Eau Claire where it is being renovated
by the Chippewa Valley Railroad Association. Originally located at CNW-MILW
crossing near Banbury Place.
- LaCrosse.. (MILW) Known as Grand Crossing. Controlled
MILW-CB&Q crossing. Relocated to Copeland Park in LaCrosse.