Hunt Tower has been preserved by the Huntingdon County Transportation Society and Museum. The society maintains the building and operates the transportation museum on the second floor. According to the society, the tower originally opened in 1899. It served the busy Pennsylvania Railroad's "Middle Division," into the Penn Central and Conrail eras, until 1980 when it was closed due to advanced technology. Conrail planned to demolish the building, but the good folks of Huntingdon County stepped in to make it a museum instead. Right on!
The tower is open to the public whenever staffing permits, generally Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays during the warmer months of the year, or whenever "the lights are on in the evening." There is no admission charge, but donations are happily accepted.